Clos Haut-Peyraguey was the smallest of the first-growth Sauternes to be classified in
1855. The estate covers 8.5 hectares, located on an enclosed parcel overlooking Château
d’Yquem to the north-east. Old Occitan for “hill” or “promontory”, the former barony
of Peyraguet passed into the hands of the President of the Bordeaux Parliament in the
18th century before being ceded to Monsieur Lafaurie during the French Revolution.
The Clos Haut-Peyraguey estate as we know it is an offshoot of this estate, formed in
1879 and sold to the Garbay-Pauly family some thirty-five years later. This first-growth
Sauternes remained in the family until 2012, when it was welcomed into the Bernard